[MEncoder-users] Cropping fails on DVD

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 21:02:29 CEST 2009

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 09:26:07 -0700
Jon Cosby <jon.l.cosby at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm backing up some DVDs. I'm using a different program to rip them. I
> did a test run on one chapter and got great results, although I got
> wide screen when I intended to get full screen. I then did the entire
> title,

I hope you realize you've given so very little information that nobody
can possibly help you.  The command-line you used was a good start, but
no output from mencoder/mplayer?  No mention of what you see when
playing the original versus the cropped version.  No mention of
what MPlayer reports is the resolution of the input/output video.
 Nothing to indicate how the crop setting looks with mplayer (before you
use them with mencoder).

> Does it usually take this long to transcode a  DVD,

Considering that you haven't said how much time is a "long", or any
details about your hardware to give someone a clue as to how powerful it
is, nobody can possibly say.

> and why would the cropping fail on the full run?

It wouldn't.

> It even failed on the test chapter the second time around.

This clearly means you're doing something wrong.  Mencoder doesn't act
differently, no matter how many times you tell it to encode a video with
the same settings.  The only thing I can suspect at this point is a
typo on your part.

--
Don't trust me! I'm wrong!