[MEncoder-users] Copy subtitles?

Owen Williams williams at dmu.ac.uk
Mon Oct 12 13:02:50 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 11:51 +0100, Ian Collier wrote:
> ProjectX outputs an mpeg2video file, an mp2 audio file, a SON subtitle
> description file and a whole bunch of BMP subtitle bitmaps.
>
> I have hacked up a program which converts the SON subtitles into an
> input file suitable for spumux (the chief task is converting all the
> multicolour BMP files into 2-bit PNGs as best it can; it's not perfect
> but it works well enough for the most part).  I could make this public
> if there is any interest.
>
> Then I run mplex to multiplex the video and audio back together, and
> spumux to add the subtitles.  (Note that spumux only works on MPEG2
> program streams.  This may make the subtitles useless for any other
> video encoding format.)
>
> Mplayer still won't play the subtitles from the resulting file, but
> vlc will.  They are also directly suitable for recording on to a DVD
> such that a standard DVD player can display the subtitles.

I'd like to do this too but in my case I think I would have to
superimpose the png on the mpeg stream before converting to h.264/mp4.

Going from SUP/SON to SRT for use in MP4 is pretty pointless because you
have to use OCR and it isn't very good.

Has anyone superimposed SUP/SON on to a video in any format using
mencoder or similar?

Owen.