[MEncoder-users] h.264 stream read with too high frame rate?

L Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 5 18:46:27 CEST 2009

On 10/3/09 6:59 PM, "Mikhail Ramendik" <mr at ramendik.ru> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to play or reencode an h/264 stream sample, saved straight
> from DVB (BBC HD). It has PAFF (an earlier mplayer reported "PAFF not
> supported").
>
> The video is about two times slower than the sound. In mplayer I
> attributed this to not enough CPU power. However, the same happens in
> the resulting file after a non-realtime encoding with mencoder.
>
> After reading up on PPAF, I suspect mplayer/mencoder is reading fields
> as frames.
>
> Is there a way to fix this? Ideally, just drop one of the fields when
> they are encoded separately, as I am scaling down to a lower size
> anyway.

I've never had much success converting HD unless I've used some sort of
pullup strategy, but I don't have a great variety of ways to import, so I
don't have any idea whether I can help you. I have a Hauppauge HD-PVR, and
this weekend I tried some of my pullup methods on the 1920X1080 output from
that. But it's a little hard to insure that I have a clean source, and if
the source isn't fairly clean, I can't tell what method to use on it. But
when the source is clean and the method is correct, I can't imagine any
conversion tool yielding better results than those I get with MEncoder. I
used to use the pullup filter, but lately have had more success with
filmdint. Have you tried anything like that? Maybe you could make an excerpt
of your source available, say in the neighborhood of 100 megabytes.

Laine Lee