[MEncoder-users] x264 encoding slower after updating libx264

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 19:10:46 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 7:02 PM, James Hastings-Trew <jimht at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Grozdan wrote:

>> I've no idea about ffmpeg as I don't use it often.... also, about the
>> speed, both weightp and mbtree/rc-lookahead decrease speed a bit.
>
> So... what command line options should be used in mencoder if you
> specifically want the old default behavior? I imagine this probably broke a
> bunch of scripts and application wrappers that use mencoder as well. Fun
> times. Why the need to change the defaults?

Because the defaults were ridiculous (and don't make much sense) which
in a few cases made x264 look pretty bad during third-party testing
who just fired up x264 and didn't change anything.... yeah i know,
blame the testers for being so incompetent but still...

if you want old behavior, disable mbtree and weightp - nombtree and
weightp=0 - and maybe decrease rc_lookahead a bit from its default
value of 40. But both mbtree and weightp can considerably increase
quality, mind you.