[MEncoder-users] DVD->mkv. 2pass or CQ?

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 23:16:18 CET 2009

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 14:42:47 +0100
Marcus Blumhagen <marcus.blumhagen at web.de> wrote:

> Agreed mostly but I have to ask why CRF needs to be adjusted
> _especially_ for different resolutions? I think the idea of CRF is to
> find a the value that suites your needs and it will fit for any
> content of any resolution.

I don't know whether it is true or not (depends on how smart x264 CRF
is), but I'd say it is a plausible claim.

Perception changes dramatically when video resolution changes even a
relatively small amount.  A few artifacts in 352x240 video will look
terrible, while a few artifacts in 704x480 video will look fine, in
large part because the video (and all artifacts) are being expanded 4X.

--
Don't trust me! I'm wrong!