[MEncoder-users] DVD->mkv. 2pass or CQ?

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 04:39:17 CET 2009

Marcus Blumhagen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 02:21:25PM -0600, Andrew Berg wrote:
> > C.M. Burns wrote:
> > > Later I read that encoding using "constant quality" is usually better if
> > > filesize does not matter...
> > > Do you have any suggestions?
> > [...]
> > CRF does not need to be adjusted for different types
> > of content since it will automatically increase or decrease the bitrate
> > as needed. It does need to be adjusted for different encoder settings
> > and especially for different resolutions.
>
> Agreed mostly but I have to ask why CRF needs to be adjusted
> _especially_ for different resolutions? I think the idea of CRF is to
> find a the value that suites your needs and it will fit for any
> content of any resolution.

I don't really know /why/, but I read it somewhere and when I
experimented with it, I found it to be true. I didn't see it needing
much adjustment with different settings (though I didn't experiment with
different settings much; impactful settings like CABAC will probably
make a big difference), but I definitely needed to adjust the value
between DVD, 720p and 1080i material.