[MEncoder-users] filmdint cropping luma incorrectly?

Jason Simpson xiojason at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 00:29:41 CET 2009

The filmdint filter appears to be pulling in some lines of video that
are normally outside the display frame. These extra lines mess up the
chroma for the top set of macroblocks in the frame, making green and
purple artifacts at the top of the video.

Here's a sample of the problem I'm encountering. Compare:

  http://xio.com/filmdint/test-filmdint.mpg.avi and
  http://xio.com/filmdint/test-nofilmdint.mpg.avi to the original
  http://xio.com/filmdint/test.mpg

Pay close attention to the top portion of the video.

The command lines used to create these avis are in:
  http://xio.com/filmdint/test-filmdint.mpg.avi.sh and
  http://xio.com/filmdint/test-nofilmdint.mpg.avi.sh

If I use a crop filter prior to filmdint, the chroma artifacts go
away, but the MPEG-2 field-order flags are destroyed and filmdint
doesn't generate smooth video.

If I use filmdint's own crop filter, the extra luma lines can be
cropped away, but the chroma artifacts are still present.

Is this a bug in filmdint? Is there some other way I can avoid this problem?

   Thanks.
   -jrs