[MEncoder-users] Encoded DVD video has motion flicker

Chris Capon ttabyss at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 15:31:26 CET 2009

L Lee wrote:
> Yes, and I also suspect telecine. If I leave telecine video at 30 fps, I can
> either remove interlacing and get 2 smeared frames of every 5, resulting in
> the flickering and jerky motion, or I can leave the interlacing and observe
> that every 5th frame is a duplicate of the previous frame, which also
> adversely affects motion. If you get similar results, you'll probably need
> some sort of pullup and a final frame rate of 24 fps. If you'll make
> available some examples of your source, I'd be interested in throwing some
> options at it.

Hi Laine.
Thanks for your help.

I've posted a clip of the video.  Sorry about the size but this 1 minute
clip of HD is 160MB.

    http://www.sendspace.com/file/b6j16k

If there are problems with the download, let me know and I'll try to
find an alternative location for it.

About 10 seconds in, there are two panning scenes which highlight the
problem.  You can also see this effect more mildly further along when
actors move from side to side.

Using a -delay of about 0.2 the audio sync's fairly well.

If you play this clip unencoded in MPlayer and shrink the screen to
about half size, you can really see the interlacing pronounced.

When encoded, this video flickers and jumps with side to side or
vertical motion during playback on a standard NTSC DVD player.

Cheers,
Thanks for your input.
Chris.