[MEncoder-users] Encoded DVD video has motion flicker

L Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 2 07:34:35 CET 2009

On 11/1/09 3:30 PM, "RC" <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:42:35 -0500
> Chris Capon <ttabyss at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ./mplayer/mencoder "recording.mpg" -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg
>>   -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -vf
>>   pp,scale=presize=ntsc,dsize=16/9,harddup
>
> If your ATSC capture is interlaced video (most likely), you're
> destroying it with those -VF options for progressive video.  Scale has
> an "interlaced video" flag you can set, and pp would require the
> assistance of the il= filter to work right.

Yes, and I also suspect telecine. If I leave telecine video at 30 fps, I can
either remove interlacing and get 2 smeared frames of every 5, resulting in
the flickering and jerky motion, or I can leave the interlacing and observe
that every 5th frame is a duplicate of the previous frame, which also
adversely affects motion. If you get similar results, you'll probably need
some sort of pullup and a final frame rate of 24 fps. If you'll make
available some examples of your source, I'd be interested in throwing some
options at it.

Laine Lee