[MEncoder-users] Framerate keeps switching

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Fri May 29 16:06:04 CEST 2009

Andrew Berg wrote:
> I have a few DVDs of films, and MPlayer keeps switching between
> 24000/1001 fps and 30000/1001 fps. I have two questions:
>
> Why does it keep switching?

Filmed on film, edited on video equipment. You'll see this a lot on
Japanese titles and director's cuts. Disney titles can also switch back
and forth at the beginning with video-rate logos and whatnot tacked onto
the start of an otherwise film-rate feature.
> Will MEncoder convert it properly (with -fps 30000/1001 -ofps 24000/1001
> ... -vf pullup,softskip... )?

Yes, if the great majority of it is at film rate. You might have to
include some kind of de-interlacer in as well if the 30 fps stuff is
more than edit points and a few frames here and there.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4115 (20090529) __________

http://www.eset.com