[MEncoder-users] Tuning hqdn3d

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Mon May 18 16:18:35 CEST 2009

vmrsss wrote:
> On 15 May 2009, at 16:15, Phil Ehrens wrote:
>> Look, people... 2-pass just plain RULEZ when it
>> comes to quality. If you don't believe it, do the
>> friggin' experiment for yourself...
>
> it's not that I don't believe that 2-pass is better
> than 1-pass. I don't believe that 2-pass is better
> than crf if the encodes end up with the same
> avg bitrate.
I believe that you are incorrect. What you are saying is that 2-pass
can't possibly give you a better quality encode than doing it in one
pass with a  chosen crf value that you choose. My experience with doing
encodes both ways shows that the 2-pass encode is visually better in
quality, and, as a bonus, the file is not arbitrarily large. As Phil
suggests, try it for yourself.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4083 (20090518) __________

http://www.eset.com