[MEncoder-users] Tuning hqdn3d

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Sun May 10 21:11:47 CEST 2009

On Sun, 10 May 2009 11:25:00 -0500
Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I've been playing with the settings, and I seem to get stuck
> with either a lot of noise, a lot of "trails",

The temporal values cause trails.  Set those low.

> I even tried using both hqdn3d and nr, but nr gives a slight dark red
> hue even at values as low as 100.

Can't say I've _ever_ seen that, though I've never combined the two.

> I don't want to spend a great amount of time on an encode

Then use "turbo".

> quality is what I aim for rather than a target filesize, so crf wins
> over 2-pass by a large margin.

That doesn't make much sense.  Figure out what the average bitrate is
when you encode the video with your CRF values, then use that as the
bitrate for a 2-pass encode, and you should get somewhat better quality,
 at the same file size.

With the way x264 handles threading, I wouldn't be surprised if
2-pass+turbo mode was just as fast as CRF, on systems with several
cores.

--
Don't trust me! I'm wrong!