[MEncoder-users] DVD creation problem, settop player cuts off boarder

karl-heinz-1950 at web.de karl-heinz-1950 at web.de
Sat Mar 21 13:37:36 CET 2009

Let me see if I understood this correctly:

My recording has 720x576 pixels (full of "information" no black boarder), correct? My TV thinks that all these pixels occupy the overscan area and instead of displaying possible strange things, e.g. green bars, in that area it rather cuts off the picture?

So using the -vf scale=720:576,expand=-64:-32:32:16 it would do

scale: shouldn"t do anything since my input is already on this resolution
expand: adds a black border around the picture

The result would be a picture larger 720x576 and thus violating PAL standard, wouldn"t it? Or does it first the expand (though second in the chain), so it enlarges the picture and it scales it back to the PAL standard? If that happens the viewable amount of pixels is reduced - which shouldn"t happen.

Thanks,
K.