[MEncoder-users] Mencoder and vdpau decoding

Robert Ramiega jedi at plukwa.net
Thu Mar 19 10:44:33 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 08:01:08PM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:46:52 +0100
> Robert Ramiega <jedi at plukwa.net> wrote:
>
> >  For some time mplayer can use vdpau to accelerate decoding and
> >  displaying of h264 among others. Now is there posibility to use this
> >  in the decoding phase of mencoder?
>
> It wouldn't make much sense to do so.  The speed-up will in fact be
> minimal.  Moving uncompressed video from a the GPU to system RAM isn't
> free...

 Good point. I did not thought about that. Still this might gave some 1-2%
of speedup and sometimes fixes or patches improve things by that factor

 Anyhow thanks to roo_ on #mplayer i found solution. My slow encodes where
caused by some stuck almost year old libx264.so =o( Now encodes are like 3x
faster (preliminary tests)

> Video encoders that run entirely on video-card GPUs are more promising,
> but offer terrible quality and little speed improvement right now.

 You mean that say it's possible to encode video on Nvidia 8600M GT? Didn't
know that.

--
 NameLess, the Jedi     | Just a friendly Jedi Knight
 Robert Ramięga         | http://nlj.plukwa.net/