[MEncoder-users] Mencoder and vdpau decoding

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 04:01:08 CET 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:46:52 +0100
Robert Ramiega <jedi at plukwa.net> wrote:

>  For some time mplayer can use vdpau to accelerate decoding and
>  displaying of h264 among others. Now is there posibility to use this
>  in the decoding phase of mencoder?

It wouldn't make much sense to do so.  The speed-up will in fact be
minimal.  Moving uncompressed video from a the GPU to system RAM isn't
free...

Video encoders that run entirely on video-card GPUs are more promising,
but offer terrible quality and little speed improvement right now.

Personally, I'm pretty content to see more and more use of SIMD
instructions on modern CPUs in optimizing multimedia playback/encoding.

 --
Don't trust me! I'm wrong!