[MEncoder-users] 120 minute video creates a 6.2gb vob

Alex Bennee kernel-hacker at bennee.com
Mon Mar 2 17:22:35 CET 2009

2009/3/2 belcampo <belcampo at zonnet.nl>:
> Alex Bennee wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got some region 1 discs I wanted to re-burn as region free so I
>> can play them on my DVD player. The episode on each disc is around 120
>> minutes long. Curiously an lsdvd of the disc shows two 120 minute
>> tracks but both play the same (different sound encodings maybe?).
>
> Maybe lsdvd is tricked. 240min normally won't fit on a DVD. So it probably
> is 'a link' to the same file.
> Therefore 6.2GB looks pretty normal, 7000kb/sec incl. sound.

I've just looked at the output of mplayer and yes the bitrate
calculations all add up. I guess the only way to fit it on a blank
would be to re-encode with the attendant loss in quality.

Is mpeg2 compression progressive, i.e. do the extra bits of
information add more quality to the picture or are they intrinsically
linked to the overall stream?

I assume there is no way to drop n bits of information per set of
frames and still get a picture of slightly lower quality?

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
CV: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/cv.php