[MEncoder-users] picking up x264 library

Grozdan microchip at telenet.be
Mon Jul 27 01:17:24 CEST 2009

2009/7/27 Matyas <mplayer.list at sustik.com>:
> Grozdan wrote:
>> Just a note: mencoder does not only look for x264 libs. It also
>> *needs* x264 headers to actually add support for it. When you install
>> from source, headers are also installed. Some distros, however, split
>> x264 into two packages; one that provides just the libs and one that
>> provides the devel stuff (like headers and so). This may also have
>> been a problem for you but I'm unsure (can't really tell from here
>> what's going on on your system)
>
> Yes, I overwrote the /usr/include/x264.h with the one downloaded.  Again, all
> this was needed due to lack of debian package support of x264.  (I am not
> claiming that is easy to do, considering the possibility of different
> versions of the library on the system.)
>
> So one last question: if I give up creating debian packages and just compile
> mplayer/mencoder, how would I specify the location of a specific x264
> library?  (Or prefix like /usr/local)  ./configure --help did not help me, I
> saw no --x264-dir parm or similar.

I'm not really sure. I never use the distro x264 and always use x264
version which I self-compile from git. Never had problems with mplayer
picking it up during configure. You may need to either read the x264
detection part of mplayer's configure script to figure out how and
where it looks first, or the hard way. Building mplayer multiple times
and and see which one it picks up