[MEncoder-users] encoding video for the ipod 5g

rydek rydek1 at op.pl
Sat Jul 18 14:38:25 CEST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Grozdan" <microchip at telenet.be>
To: "MEncoder usage discussions" <mencoder-users at mplayerhq.hu>
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2009 1:33 AM
Subject: Re: [MEncoder-users] encoding video for the ipod 5g

2009/7/17 Sebastiaan van Erk <sebster at sebster.com>

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your tips. I tried them, but unfortunately my ipod still
> refuses to play the video...
>
> The commands I used were:
>
> mencoder $INFILE -sws 9 -of avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=300 -o /tmp/$INFILE_$$ -oac faac -vf
> scale=320:-2,expand=320:240:0:0:1::,harddup -faacopts
> mpeg=4:br=128:object=2 -srate 44100 -channels 2 -sub $SUBS -subalign
> 0 -subpos 75 -ofps 25 -ffourcc XVID -noodml
> MP4Box -aviraw video /tmp/$INFILE_$$
> MP4Box -aviraw audio /tmp/$INFILE_$$
> mv /tmp/$INFILE_$$_audio.raw /tmp/$INFILE_$$_audio.aac
> MP4Box -fps 25 -add /tmp/$INFILE_$$_video.cmp -add
> /tmp/$INFILE_$$_audio.aac -ipod -mpeg4 -new $OUTFILE
> mp4creator -list $OUTFILE
> rm -f /tmp/$INFILE_$$*
>
> I also tried the DX50 instead of XVID. The output text is attached as a
> text file, with "..." whenever it was printing progress info. I have no
> clue why my ipod isn't happy...

> I've no idea why it refuses to play it. Your commands look alright to
>me. I've a bunch of scripts with iPod presets, which you may try out
>and see if it'll work for the g5. I don't have an iPod myself hence
>can't really test here

I have mp4 zen creative player , with old mencoder on lincux (old - from a
year ago) i could encode to xvid and is playable (but always cut 5-8 sec at
end) the same video on windows play good , with current mencoder and the
same optimization line (what is similar to yours) is playable like a stream
, zen mp4 cant read length of video and i can't seek to new position , when
start i can only stop ... I think its still related with mencoder