[MEncoder-users] Display filename

Peter pscientist at inbox.com
Sun Jan 25 06:34:41 CET 2009

This is interesting, actually. I found two key bits of info. First, the command
to add subtitles in MEncoder:
Second, the format of a subtitle file:
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/subtitles/srt.html

I had a quick play with this; at first, I got an error saying that -vop was
removed, and I should use -vf; I did the switch, and it worked.

I think it would be easy enough, if you're good with Python, to make a .srt file
for each sign video, and then get MEncoder to recode it with the subtitles in.
There's another interesting thing: I tested what happened with my 5 second test
video, if I put in the .srt file that the text was valid for 10 seconds... I got
a 5 second output file. So it seems that you can ask for 10 seconds in every
file, without worrying what the actual length of your sign is.