[MEncoder-users] specify output format in profile

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 20 06:20:49 CET 2009

Jorge Martinez S. wrote:
> On Sunday 18 January 2009 23:53, James Hastings-Trew wrote:
>
>> Jorge Martinez S. wrote:

>> okay...
>>
>> Here's the profile:
>> [264HD]
>> profile-desc="264 HD encoding"
>> of=rawvideo=1
>> sws=9
>> nosound=1
>> mc=0
>> ovc=x264=1
>>
> You can"t create a raw stream with a x264,  x264 is a library for encoding
> H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video streams
>
> x264encopts=qp=18:bframes=4:partitions=all:me=umh:nocabac:nofast_pskip:nodct_decimate:frameref=6:subq=6:mixed_refs:level_idc=31:threads=auto
>
>> And here's the command line:
>>
>> mencoder input -o output.264 -profile 264HD
>>
>> And the entire output of mencoder, with the warning about the output
>> format being AVI:
>>
>> MEncoder Sherpya-SVN-r28311-4.2.5 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
>> CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (Family: 15, Model:
>> 43, Stepping: 1)
>> CPUflags: Type: 15 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
>> Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
>>
>> WARNING: OUTPUT FILE FORMAT IS _AVI_. See -of help.
>>

> You output default file is obvious a AVI x264/AVC

But this does work:

mencoder input -o output.264 -profile 264HD -of rawvideo

Rawvideo isn't codec related. It's just a dump of whatever the encoder is spitting out, without any file container overhead - no AVI headers, no MP4 container issues with b-frames. Which is what I need.

What doesn't work is specifying the output format in the profile. Like I mentioned the first time I posted the question. Does anyone have a real answer?