[MEncoder-users] specify output format in profile

Dave P lists.davep at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 16:50:36 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 00:20, James Hastings-Trew <jimht at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Jorge Martinez S. wrote:

>>> okay...
>>>
>>> Here's the profile:
>>> [264HD]
>>> profile-desc="264 HD encoding"
>>> of=rawvideo=1
>>> sws=9
>>> nosound=1
>>> mc=0
>>> ovc=x264=1
>>>
>> You can"t create a raw stream with a x264,  x264 is a library for encoding
>> H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video streams
>>
>> x264encopts=qp=18:bframes=4:partitions=all:me=umh:nocabac:nofast_pskip:nodct_decimate:frameref=6:subq=6:mixed_refs:level_idc=31:threads=auto
>>
>>> And here's the command line:
>>>
>>> mencoder input -o output.264 -profile 264HD
>>>
>>> And the entire output of mencoder, with the warning about the output
>>> format being AVI:
>>>
>>> MEncoder Sherpya-SVN-r28311-4.2.5 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
>>> CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (Family: 15, Model:
>>> 43, Stepping: 1)
>>> CPUflags: Type: 15 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
>>> Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
>>>
>>> WARNING: OUTPUT FILE FORMAT IS _AVI_. See -of help.
>>>

>> You output default file is obvious a AVI x264/AVC
>>
> But this does work:
>
> mencoder input -o output.264 -profile 264HD -of rawvideo
>
> Rawvideo isn't codec related. It's just a dump of whatever the encoder is spitting out, without any file container overhead - no AVI headers, no MP4 container issues with b-frames. Which is what I need.
>
> What doesn't work is specifying the output format in the profile. Like I mentioned the first time I posted the question. Does anyone have a real answer?

I don't have an answer, but can confirm that it has been an issue for
a long time.  Since I don't use svn, I never filed a proper bug
report.
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mencoder-users/2007-April/005708.html