[MEncoder-users] a/v desync when encoding combined 24000/1001 30000/1 fps NTSC DVD

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 26 14:04:47 CET 2009

belcampo wrote:
> Sergey Kovalev wrote:
>
>> belcampo wrote:

>>> I think you'll endup by dividing video and audio encoding then remuxing
>>> to what you  want.
>>> In the end your sources are time x of video and time x audio. If you get
>>> a/v sync at the beginning it will be there at the end.
>>>
>> I made some more testing and found out that when I encode audio with
>> "-oac lavc", the afore-mentioned desync appears, but whan I use "-oac
>> mp3lame -lameopts cbr:bitrate=224" syncing is done right.
>> Is it a bug or I've missed some option?
>>
>> Also I don't understand what options "-vf pullup,softskip" do (which I
>> took from documentation as advised), because without them I don't see
>> any glitches in encoded video as with them.
>> Probably my original video is not telecined. I don't know what to
>> suppose else.
>>
> Probably read up on
> http://linux.die.net/man/1/mencoder
> to better understand what problem you can solve with what tool/mencoder
> option. Furher the less the better, according to myself ;-)

Another suggestion: stick a harddup at the end of your video filters.

-vf pullup,softskip,crop=656:352:32:64,harddup

pullup,softskip is there to recover progressive frames from the DVD
video stream. Is the DVD of a movie, or a TV show? If the original video
is interlaced video, then remove the -ofps 24000/1001 and remove the
pullup,softskip, and replace those with pp=lb, or yadif (de-interlacing
filters).