[MEncoder-users] Converting H.264-AVC 1920 X 1080 to mpeg-2

L Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 11 05:02:38 CET 2009

On 2/10/09 7:55 PM, "James Hastings-Trew" <jimht at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I have an EyeTV (not the newest one) that only does SD video, but it's
> pretty good. I've used VisualHub (now discontinued) to convert the EyeTV
> stuff to other formats, including an export to DVD format. If you have
> VisualHub, or can figure out where to download it now, that's the best
> thing out there.

The product of the Hybrid is mpeg, 1 or 2, telecined and interlaced
depending on your source, but Mencoder is my only hope for getting standard
MPEG-2 from the HD-DVR because all its output is interlaced AVCHD. There's
something special about those interlace files, too, because I have an HD
Video camera that outputs progressive 1920X1080 H.264, and mplayer OMM
doesn't have problems with those.

> I complied mencoder from SVN yesterday, and ended up with version 28500.
> Works fine as far as I can tell, but mplayer throws an error about the
> -vo macosx being unavailable. Since literally all I did was:
>
> svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
> ./configure
> make
>
> I am pretty sure I missed something crucial to the process. Maybe you
> can give me some pointers.

To update I just go to the mplayer directory in my home folder in Terminal
and enter these commands

 make distclean
 svn update
 ./configure
 make
 sudo make install

Most everything else about cvs and svn is a mystery to me, though.

> Can you record a representative snippet of what you are trying to encode
> and put it up somewhere one of those file sharing sites like RapidShare
> or Megaupload for me to download and see if I can suss out what the
> problem might be?

I'll get it right to you.

> I'm trying to work my way up to compiling mplayer and mencoder on
> windows as well, but the process seems daunting to someone who isn't a
> programmer (seems to be lots and lots of libraries or headers or whatnot
> to collect and put in the right places - scarey). Maybe someone can
> provide a nice, up to date guide on that too... The ones I've found
> online so far are completely out of date, and reference various utility
> packages that no longer exist.

I had a feeling they were, but I'm not expert enough to know, really.
Thanks.

Laine Lee