[MEncoder-users] Xvid parameter "cartoon"

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 5 15:45:35 CET 2009

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009, James Hastings-Trew wrote:

> Totally a guess on my part - I speak with no authority on this matter. :)
>
> The problem with compressing anime isn't the flat colors or the sharp
> edges - it's the lack of natural movement from frame to frame at a 12
> fps frame rate for the hand drawn motion. I imagine that for anime you'd
> have to greatly expand the motion search radius to catch the large frame
> to frame movements of elements.

Reasonable guess, but that's not what xvid's "cartoon" option does.
It's actually a very light denoiser. In particular, it biases towards
mv=0 when naive motion search has little preference between mvs
(under the assumption that cartoons contain lots of perfectly motionless
regions). And it raises the threshold for dct coefficient decimation
(under the assumption that cartoons have lots of perfectly residual-less
regions, and small variations from that are noise and not signal.)

Yes, the option is meant for cell-shaded, not 3D animation.

--Loren Merritt