[MEncoder-users] lavs encoding and divx compatibility

Stjepan Brbot stjepan.brbot at zg.t-com.hr
Mon Feb 2 17:38:21 CET 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 23:35 +0100, Grozdan wrote:
> On Sunday 01 February 2009 23:28:22 Stjepan Brbot wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > according to the specification my standalone DVD + DivX player Samsung
> > DVD-V6500 does support:
> >
> > * Supported CODEC formats: DivX3, DivX4, DivX5 (GMC 1WP)
> > * Supported file formats: *.avi, *.mpeg
> > * Supported audio formats: AC3, MP3, WMA
> > * Supported caption formats: * .SMI, * .SRT, * .SUB
> >
> > But it does not reproduce DivX created with mencoder when video codec is
> > lavc (mencoder -ovc lavc). With xvid encoding everything is fine.
> > According to mencoder documentation lavc encoding actually produce DivX
> > coded movies.
>
> you need to set the FourCC or else lavc's mpeg4 defaults to FMP4 and no player
> will play it, afaik
>
> -ffourcc DX50
> -ffourcc DIVX

Thank you Grozdan, as you said, it seems that my DVD player just read
fourCC and finding FMP4 refused to reproduce it (reporting not supported
encoding) although it could reproduce this file format very well.

I found more about this fourCC here:

http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=DXGM

> > * What is the problem with compatibility of this lavc?
> > * What this "GMC 1WP" in specification for DivX5 stands for?
>
> Global Motion Compensation - 1 Warp Point
>
> > * Why xvid encoding is many times slower than lavc encoding?
>
> lavc's mpeg4 has pretty fast default options compared to xvid

Yes, it seems that you're right again :-), I found in mencoder man pages
that xvid encoding has the best motion estimation quality
(me_quality=6), trellis, chroma_me and other parameters set by default.