[MEncoder-users] AC3 5.1 Probably Bug (downmixing not working/not there)

Jean-Michel Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Mon Dec 28 19:17:46 CET 2009

Hey again,

this is a old mail, i'm know now a bit more, here's the issue:

I'm since two or three days (dont remember) in the mplayer channel and
watched in the www, i never found an answer nor something else which
could explain me that behaviour. I know how to "solve" that myself,
though i don't think this is correct. Lemme explain: I have recently
played around with 5.1 ac3 in Linux using mplayer. If i start those
files with no parameter (mplayer file.name) it defaults to 2ch output
even if the file got 6ch. This is no Problem - I guess mplayer will
downmix from 6 channels to 2 channels. I understand downmixing as: It
will combine all 6 channels to 2 Channels. But this seems not to be the
case.

If i play the file as it is, i can hear voices on the right speaker.
There's sound/music on both, voice only on the right. The Channel Layout
for ac3 5.1 is: LF, C, RF, LS, LR, LFE - Thus mplayer is NOT downmixing
- It's just picking the first two channels (LF and C). Those ac3's i got
here contains no voice on LF, RF, LS, LR. It only got voice on Center.
Thus its quite clear, that playing a 5.1 ac3 with no option (which
defaults to 2 channel output) gives me the Front Left and Center speaker
as output. Somehow i don't believe this is correct.

as i said, i know how to fix it for myself. i still dont think this is
correct.

some answered they had no problems with it:

the question is, whether its really correct. i guess you got voice on
all 3 channels (LF, RF, C)
thus you won't hear the difference.
but in fact it will give you LF and C
instead of LF and RF