[MEncoder-users] What is the fastest video codec/settings combo?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Dec 26 13:02:52 CET 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 05:55:01AM -0600, Andrew Berg wrote:
> Which codec available in MEncoder is the fastest, what should I use
> for its options, and are there any filters I can use to speed things up
> other than scale (to decrease the resolution)?

I haven't tested lately, but this preset gave me about 120 fps at DVD
resolution on a dual-core Athlon 64, which is about as fast as it got:
[fastasp]
ffourcc=DX50
ovc=lavc=yes
oac=mp3lame=yes
lameopts=preset=standard
lavcopts=autoaspect=yes:vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=0:turbo=yes:vqscale=2:threads=4

Probably x264 with options that correspond to --preset ultrafast is at
least as fast, but I don't know for sure how to set that with MPlayer.