[MEncoder-users] Mencoder won't strip DVB audio anymore

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 25 01:53:43 CET 2009

On 12/24/2009 07:04 PM, Thomas Worthington wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:06:42 -0000, Thomas Worthington <tww at tww.cx>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I used to covert DVB radio shows to mp3 using the command line
>>
>> mencoder <filename>  -o <filename> -oac copy -ovc raw -of rawaudio
>> -hr-edl-seek -edl <edlfile> -aid <aid>
>>
>> This was a very quick and useful way of getting radio shows onto an
>> mp3 player with editing out of unwanted pre- and post- show
>> material using Mythtv's editor.
>>
>> But at some point in the last year this stopped working and returns
>> the error:
>>
>> MEncoder SVN-r29463-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
>> success: format: 0  data: 0x0 - 0x1e21cab4
>> TS file format detected.
>> NO VIDEO! AUDIO MPA(pid=439) NO SUBS (yet)!  PROGRAM N. 1
>> Video stream is mandatory!
>>
>> Is there any way to get the old behaviour back, or can anyone tell
>> me which version of mencoder I need to revert to to get this
>> working again? I've tried some other options but they either fail
>> the same way or they won't let me use an edl file.
>
> Bump. *Anybody* know which version this got broken in?

Possibly not. Why don't you bisect it and find out?

You know that the revision you mention above is "bad". If you can
identify some revision from the past which is "good", then you can start
a search through the middle.

Check out the revision that's halfway in between the "good" and "bad"
revisions, compile that, and test whether it works (you can do that from
the source tree, without installing). If it works, that's your new
"good" revision. Otherwise, it's your new "bad" revision. Repeat until
you've narrowed it down to just one single revision.

It's not always that simple in practice (in part because SVN doesn't
automatically check out the correct version of MPlayer's included
externals, e.g. libavcodec - that can be done by hand, it just slows
things down), but it's a very effective technique, and it can narrow
down thousands of revisions in comparatively few steps.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.