[MEncoder-users] compression: 1080i versus 720p

Matyas mplayer.list at sustik.com
Thu Dec 17 16:45:10 CET 2009

Hi All,

I apologize in advance if this list is not best suited
for this question.

I have encoded several 1080i and 720p OTA sources.  The only
difference was that I used deinterlacing for the 1080i and that
I scaled differently: I scaled the 1080i to 960:540, while the
720p to 768:432.  I used crf=23 for both encodes with h.264.

The resulting bitrate for the 1080i sources varied between 1100
and 1900.  For the 720p sources it was over 2000.  The 720p source
is more dynamic but I still was surprised to see the much higher
bitrate on a smaller resolution.

Could you comment on this observation?  Thanks!
Matyas
-
Every hardware eventually breaks.  Every software eventually works.