[MEncoder-users] mencoder faster at startup

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 18:37:33 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Matyas <mplayer.list at sustik.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I noticed that when my encoding starts, for the first 10 seconds
> mencoder prints an fps between 12-15, but then it drops to under 3.
> I wonder whether this could be fileio/caching related?  Or is this
> something expected?  (Top reveals a 110-140 CPU%, dual core, I am
> writing to an almost full ext3 partition.)

Most movies have low-motion frames at the very beginning and a lot of
them also have lots of black for up to a minute (where opening credits
and such are displayed). In such cases, the encoder will be pretty
quick in encoding these frames, hence the higher encoding fps...

I'm not sure how mencoder calculates its encoding fps, but it could
also be due to averaging (if it uses averaging to calculate fps, which
I don't know if it does)