[MEncoder-users] A-V sync tools

Chris Capon ttabyss at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 01:58:16 CET 2009

Laine Lee wrote:
> I suppose you're talking about an adjustment that's a little more precise
> than the increments of 100 milliseconds that you get when you press the plus
> or minus key while playing in mplayer.
Yes.  It is difficult to synchronize just by ear.  You can get the audio
fairly close but not exact.  I wondered about tools which would help
sync more precisely.

I've tried a number of open source video editing tools but very few show
the audio waveform aligned with each frame.  I wonder if MPlayer would
benefit from this feature to help fine tune the -delay option.

In the end, there were two tools which seem to handle the job.

Cinelerra worked the best.  You can zoom in on the waveform both
horizontally and vertically, then move single video frames at a time and
watch the waveform progress.

Kdenlive also shows the waveform but as a very small image.  There may
be a way to zoom in on the details but I didn't find it.

Cheers,
Chris.