[MEncoder-users] CoreAVC not working with MPlayer/MEncoder

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 18 14:34:56 CEST 2009

Andrew Berg wrote:
> I've done a little more research, and it seems that, for whatever
> reason, ffmpeg just cannot handle video output at 1080i from the box
> (720p is fine, though). Most people are using CoreAVC (or some other
> proprietary decoder). Unfortunately, -vc coreavc (or -vfm dshow) causes
> MEncoder and MPlayer to crash, even though CoreAVC works fine in other
> programs. How can I get CoreAVC working with MPlayer and MEncoder?

I presume you are on Windows - apologies if you are not. Have you tried
decoding the video with graphedit? If graphedit can render the video,
you can save the .grf file and use it as input with AviSynth. Then you
can use the AVISynth script as input to mencoder. I know it sounds like
quite a trip around the block to accomplish what you are trying to, but
I've found that this method is sometimes necessary when dealing with
some bluray titles. Google around for a tutorial on exactly how to do
this - I think there is likely an article at doom9 about it.

In a larger sense, this indicates that there is a problem with
mencoder's decoder.