[MEncoder-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR video causes MEncoder to crash

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 05:44:00 CEST 2009

I've been capturing video with a Hauppauge HD-PVR and all attempts to
convert it with MEncoder have failed. Both MPlayer and MEncoder crash
during encoding or playback at a certain point (varies between videos,
but constant between decoders for the same video). I get a few error
messages during encoding:
[h264 @ 00D9A434]non-existing SPS 15 referenced in buffering period
[h264 @ 00D9A434]number of reference frames exceeds max (probably
corrupt input), discarding one
[h264 @ 00D9A434]illegal num_reorder_frames 29
[h264 @ 00D9A434]mmco: unref short failure

I've tried remuxing, but the container doesn't seem to be the problem.
My guess is that the AVC stream is causing the decoder to crash and take
MEncoder/MPlayer with it. With MEncoder, it's a hard crash caught by
Windows, but MPlayer exits with the message "MPlayer interrupted by
signal 11 in module: filter_video". I've tried using the different AVC
decoders, but the result is the same for all.
The video is 1920x1080i AVC 13Mbps CBR with AC3 384Kbps CBR in an
MPEG-TS container.