[MEncoder-users] Build help - Defeating autodetection for x264 on Mac OS X !0.5

Laine Lee llee at lonestar.utsa.edu
Thu Sep 25 19:41:15 CEST 2008

On 9/25/08 2:09 AM, "R.L. Horn" <lists at eastcheap.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Laine Lee wrote:
>
>> Well, judging from the other stuff you said, I may be out of luck for this
>> config, but here's the passage anyway. Thanks again.
>
>> :4:2: error: #error We do not support old versions of x264. Get the latest
>> from SVN.
>
> Forgive me if I've missed part of the discussion, but how many copies of
> x264 do you have installed?  If there's only one, and it's relatively
> recent (X264_BUILD was 64 as of yesterday) you've just got a stale copy of
> x264.h somewhere, possibly accompanied by a stale copy of libx264 (either
> that, or something is horribly wrong with gcc).  Find it, delete it, and
> all should be well -- provided, naturally, that you end up linked with the
> new library (unfortunately, I don't know squat about library versioning on
> Macs).
>
> If you have parallel x264 installations...well, it's trickier.  Perhaps a
> lot trickier.

Well, I tried "which x264", and discovered that my system had been using
the wrong one, a parallel installation in "/sw" which can obviously be
attributed to my use of Fink. So I removed /sw/bin/x264 and
/sw/include/x264.h (actually replaced them with symlinks to the ones I
wanted, which may cost me later considering that I'm no expert) and then
used the correct mplayer configure command for my installation.

./configure --with-extralibdir=/usr/local/lib
--with-extraincdir=/usr/local/include

Then x264 was recognized. Thanks!

--
Laine Lee