[MEncoder-users] theora, where is the love?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Fri Sep 12 23:28:06 CEST 2008

On Friday, 12 September 2008 at 21:38, Martin Matusiak wrote:
> So theora has been around for a while now, right? It's not a new
> codec. And yet whenever I play a theora file in either mplayer or vlc
> the index is all screwed up, the player seems to think a video that's
> a few minutes long is well over an hour. To get sane seeking in the
> file I have to transcode it. Why is that?
>
> Mencoder supports a ridiculous amount of video codecs for encoding,
> but theora isn't one of them. Again, why? There is something called
> ffmpeg2theora, and it works, but it's not integrated with mencoder or
> ffmpeg, is it?
>
> It would seem that ogm+theora+vorbis is the safest format choice in
> terms of freedom and legal liability.

Vorbis is fine. OGM is an abomination that should never been born.
Theora plain sucks in quality. If you must use it, at least store
it in Nut or Matroska.

> But it's so infrequently used,
> and when it is the videos don't even play correctly.
>
> Why does noone seem to like theora?

Probably because it's inferior in terms of quality and because it's
not necessarily as patent-free as everyone thinks.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu | Livna http://rpm.livna.org