[MEncoder-users] sstep with cropdetect

Ilya Zakharevich nospam-abuse at ilyaz.org
Fri Nov 28 23:11:20 CET 2008

RC
<mencoder-users at mplayerhq.hu>], who wrote in article <20080528194124.1c5af077.cooleyr at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, 28 May 2008 22:32:40 -0400
> "Micah Chambers" <micahc at vt.edu> wrote:
>
> > For some reason I can't get cropdetect to work with sstep.
>
> Of course not.  Just try WATCHING the output of mplayer with -sstep and
> it will become obvious why that can't work.

*I* tried (not an OP).  It did not "become obvious why that can't work".

Moreover, -vf cropdetect worked on the stream...  So what was your
suggestion about?  Using cropdetect with sstep looks like a very
useful idea...

BTW, after play stops, could -vf cropdetect emit a "-vf crop=" line
based on *combined* stats of what it saw?  This would simplify
automation of mencoder so much...

Thanks,
Ilya