[MEncoder-users] problem with big files

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat May 31 11:03:46 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 03:44:43AM -0500, James Hastings-Trew wrote:
> > i have 2 .avi file sized 4.9 Gig and 12 Gig, and i
> > want to convert them to 2 mpeg files, but when i run
> > mencoder as usual to change these files, it works on
> > them until it reaches the 4096 MB of input file and
> > then it stops without any unusual message :-(

AVI files do not support sizes larger than 4 GB, unless you use the
(AFAIK) non-standard ODML extension.
How were those files created? Can you play them with MPlayer? Can
anything at all play them?

> If I had to hazard a guess, you are bumping up against a filesystem limit
> (4Gb is a common limit).

This is not a possibility, since the _input_ seems to be a problem.

> I don't know anything about the limits of ext3,
> however, so others with more knowledge will have to speak up on the issue.

At least 16GB, usually 2 TB. Though those values were from Linux 2.4
times, so they may have been extended again.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger