[MEncoder-users] problem with big files

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sat May 31 10:44:43 CEST 2008

a a wrote:
> Hello all
>
> i have 2 .avi file sized 4.9 Gig and 12 Gig, and i
> want to convert them to 2 mpeg files, but when i run
> mencoder as usual to change these files, it works on
> them until it reaches the 4096 MB of input file and
> then it stops without any unusual message :-(
>
> Then i got the last version of mplayer sources (1-rc2)
> and myself compiled it with option --enable-largefiles
> and again converted those files with new mencoder, but
> no any benefits was made.
> The filesystems that i used for input and output files
> were ext3 . and the OSs were Ubuntu-7.10-amd64 and
> Knoppix-5.1.1 on 2 computers with same result.
>
> What is the problem , and its solutions ?
> How can i convert such files?

I am sure it is not a mencoder issue per se, because I am currently
working with files in excess of 30Gb (bluray disc rips) with mplayer and
mencoder, with no issues. My filesystem is NTFS, however, on Windows. If
I had to hazard a guess, you are bumping up against a filesystem limit
(4Gb is a common limit). I don't know anything about the limits of ext3,
however, so others with more knowledge will have to speak up on the issue.