[MEncoder-users] PAL -> NTSC

R.L. Horn lists at eastcheap.org
Thu May 29 00:40:03 CEST 2008

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Martin wrote:

> Any ideas why mencoder doesn't have a pulldown when it's got 3 or 4
> pullups?!

I suspect it's because pullups are generally more useful and also because
much of the development takes place at least nominally outside of the U.S.
For various legal and political reasons, this is true of virtually all
open-source video projects (Theora is the only exception that comes to
mind, and even there there have been concerns over DCT-related patents).

In particular, the rest of the world doesn't have to contend with our
crippled DVD players, which are probably the #1 reason for pulling down
25-fps video.