[MEncoder-users] Mencoder params

Raimund Berger raimund.berger at gmail.com
Thu May 22 23:10:37 CEST 2008

RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> writes:

>> Well, apart from burning considerable cpu time for nothing,
>
> Audio encoding time is miniscule, compared to video, and a few options
> can speed it up further (eg. lame aq=9).

We were talking about AAC. And I don't consider over half an hour full
load on a single E6600 cpu miniscule.

>> how would you then proceed if, when performing a high quality dvd
>> backup, you would like to save 2 or more audio streams into your
>> backup?
>>
>> With all I learned from you, it'd be pretty much idle to even attempt
>> this with mencoder and hope to get a sane result.
>
> Quite the opposite.  In fact, mencoder is likely the only program you'll
> ever come across that can handle such a task, while maintaining proper
> A/V sync.  A pass through mencoder results in the audio and video
> streams being exactly the same length, and so an arbitrary number
> of audio and video streams can be seperated and re-multiplexed as
> needed.  With just about any other encoder, the loss of time-stamps due
> to demuxing would cause severe desync.

Which directly contradicts what you said and has been proven valid
earlier. I.e. that syncing logic doesn't just involve the demuxer and
muxer, but encoder choice and likely encoder settings up to the point
of one stream depending on another in these regards. Just recall the
frame skipping discussion above for reference.

Furthermore, I don't see at all how the iterations needed for an
encoding like outlined above could look like, given what I
learned. Maybe you to want skip that advertisement lingo for a second
and give a sketch of the commands you would use to perform a 2 audio
stream dvd rip. Without detailed encoding options but still
recognizable if you really encode or just stream copy, and with
mentioning where you think encoding options have to be exactly the
same.