[MEncoder-users] Mencoder params

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Thu May 22 21:46:38 CEST 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008 20:40:17 +0200
"Raimund Berger" <raimund.berger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, apart from burning considerable cpu time for nothing,

Audio encoding time is miniscule, compared to video, and a few options
can speed it up further (eg. lame aq=9).

> how would you then proceed if, when performing a high quality dvd
> backup, you would like to save 2 or more audio streams into your
> backup?
>
> With all I learned from you, it'd be pretty much idle to even attempt
> this with mencoder and hope to get a sane result.

Quite the opposite.  In fact, mencoder is likely the only program you'll
ever come across that can handle such a task, while maintaining proper
A/V sync.  A pass through mencoder results in the audio and video
streams being exactly the same length, and so an arbitrary number
of audio and video streams can be seperated and re-multiplexed as
needed.  With just about any other encoder, the loss of time-stamps due
to demuxing would cause severe desync.