[MEncoder-users] mencoder starter needs help

Andy Civil andycivil at gmail.com
Wed May 21 19:45:43 CEST 2008

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Uh, MPEG-2 (unless actually on a DVD) is actually one of the formats
> that very, very few people will be able to play.

Apparently you're right, which I find astounding - why should it matter if it's
"actually on a DVD" or not? Is the stream decoded in the DVD drive or the
graphics card???

> As someone else has said, really generally playable needs MPEG-1 in MPEG
> container.

Indeed.

And as someone else suggested, the quality/download-hassle balance may be
turning in favour of flash at this point. The only thing is, I'm not sure how
many people could actually play a standalone flash movie file, as opposed to
something embedded in a web page.

--
Andy