[MEncoder-users] mencoder starter needs help

James Thomas Snell james at dawning.ca
Wed May 21 18:17:30 CEST 2008

You need to do something with the video.. I wouldn't expect "raw" to be a
fun direction to take things for your video codec. Probably will use a few
hundred gigs/hr of video.

Try running

mencoder -ovc help

to get a list of video codecs you can try.

I'd suggest trying something like:

mencoder C:\goat.mpg -o goat.avi -of avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=3000 -oac copy

Similarly, you can run "mencoder -oac help" to get a list of audio codecs to
try rather than "copy", though I'm going to guess "copy" will be fine for
now. At some point you may want to use "lame".

This is a pretty basic answer for you, but your question is also pretty
basic. You should be able to find some great example usage in the
documentation or if you google for it.

Does that answer your question sufficiently?

mencoder C:\goat.mpg -o goat.avi -of avi -ovc raw -oac copy