[MEncoder-users] mencoder starter needs help

B K b.kot at hotmail.com
Wed May 21 17:36:12 CEST 2008

I am a beginner who has a movie file taken from television in ac3 audio format and mpeg2 video format.

Mplayer can play the video with no hassles. Although Windows media player will not play the audio, which is why I would like to encode this file into a format that can be played anywhere no matter which codecs are present.

I am assuming the file will be big as this will lose all forms of compression, but are there any other disadvantages ?

I am not familiar with mencoder to even know where to start but I have given it a go.  I tried the following code:

mencoder C:\goat.mpg -o goat.avi -of avi -ovc raw -oac copy

The output was not what I expected. The video would hardly move, and the sound was all distorted with plenty of jitter.

Can you help me ? My main goal is to achieve the same quality but have it so I can play on any computer, especially windows.

Thank you, and sorry for previous post.