[MEncoder-users] extracting mpeg2 stream from dvd

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Mon May 19 08:08:28 CEST 2008

Wes Morgan wrote:
> I want to dump each title on a DVD to a single mpeg2 stream... If I use
> the simple "mplayer -dumpstream" option, I end up with what seems to be
> multiple mpeg2 streams concatenated (each title of the dvd). This plays
> hell with my media player when it starts a new stream (yes, that means the
> player is probably broken -- but mplayer knows there is something weird
> about it as well).
>
> Trying to use "-oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg2 -mpegopts format=dvd" results
> in a file whose playback is "jerky", most likely because of the hundreds
> of skipped frames... However, throwing in "-noskip" dies with the dreaded
> "too many audio packets in the buffer" error. Using "-mc 0" and harddup
> (in many combinations) kills the audio sync. I don't think it will work
> without -noskip.
>
> The source is full of mixed progressive and telecined (or possibly
> interlaced) content. Setting -ofps, -fps, nothing seems to work correctly.
> All I need to do is make a single working mpeg2 stream from a dvd, seems
> like it should be simple... I'm hoping there is a command-line solution,
> as this needs to be done to about 50 discs with 4 titles each.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

This always works for me, regardless of content:

mplayer dvd://$title -dumpstream -dumpfile $title.vob

You'll have to do a bit of work to make a script that reads the DVD, and
extracts each title.

mplayer dvd:// -identify -frames 0 | grep LENGTH

Should get you a list of titles on a DVD and their lengths. A little
string munging in a script should let you skip all the titles shorter
than the ones you are interested in and give you title numbers to plug
into the extraction line I gave above.