[MEncoder-users] extracting mpeg2 stream from dvd

Wes Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Mon May 19 04:55:54 CEST 2008

I want to dump each title on a DVD to a single mpeg2 stream... If I use
the simple "mplayer -dumpstream" option, I end up with what seems to be
multiple mpeg2 streams concatenated (each title of the dvd). This plays
hell with my media player when it starts a new stream (yes, that means the
player is probably broken -- but mplayer knows there is something weird
about it as well).

Trying to use "-oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg2 -mpegopts format=dvd" results
in a file whose playback is "jerky", most likely because of the hundreds
of skipped frames... However, throwing in "-noskip" dies with the dreaded
"too many audio packets in the buffer" error. Using "-mc 0" and harddup
(in many combinations) kills the audio sync. I don't think it will work
without -noskip.

The source is full of mixed progressive and telecined (or possibly
interlaced) content. Setting -ofps, -fps, nothing seems to work correctly.
All I need to do is make a single working mpeg2 stream from a dvd, seems
like it should be simple... I'm hoping there is a command-line solution,
as this needs to be done to about 50 discs with 4 titles each.

Anyone have any suggestions?