[MEncoder-users] Ripping dvd to mp4

Erik Slagter erik at slagter.name
Tue Mar 25 18:06:06 CET 2008

James Hastings-Trew wrote:

> I am here to spread the heresy that, in my opinion based on the evidence
> of my eyes alone, b-frames only help compression, not quality, so not
> having them is no big loss if you are after a quality encode. I wouldn't
> hang my hat on ffmpeg's output based on the fact that it can output
> b-frames to an .mp4 stream. The advantages of Mencoder far outweigh this
> one small disadvantage.

Did you also try b-pyramid and more reference frames? B-frames are a bit
more useful in h264 than they were before.

Also, of course you are right, you don't need B-frames for quality. You
don't even need P-frames. Even more, you don't need compression at all
for that >:-)

And yeah, I'd like to have my material compressed somewhat, I now get
commercial DVD's down to ~2.3 Gb without visible quality loss at all.