[MEncoder-users] Ripping dvd to mp4

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 25 00:52:16 CET 2008

Erik Slagter wrote:
> Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) wrote:
>
>> maybe when you tried that you had a bad mencoder/mplayer version.
>> I've seen it before mencoder not willing to hardcode/dump subtitles
>
> If you call current svn (always current for me) "bad version" lol.
>
> But as said before, mencoder cannot handle B-frames in mp4 (nor any
> other lavf-container). This can be worked around using elementary
> streams and then mux using gpac, but this can and will sooner or later
> screw up your a/v sync because timestamps are lost. That's why I
> really want to have one single program that does it all in one pass.
I am here to spread the heresy that, in my opinion based on the evidence
of my eyes alone, b-frames only help compression, not quality, so not
having them is no big loss if you are after a quality encode. I wouldn't
hang my hat on ffmpeg's output based on the fact that it can output
b-frames to an .mp4 stream. The advantages of Mencoder far outweigh this
one small disadvantage.