[MEncoder-users] RE?? Re: RE?? Re: converting and subtitle questions !

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Mon Mar 24 21:37:57 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 01:19:03PM +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:
> Alex Samad wrote:
>>> My destination is mp4, and it's ovc and oac should  be xvid and aac, or it could not be played in my cellphone.
>> you should check out the difference between xvid and dixv. (from my
>> limited knowledge - basically the same standard, but one is a closed src
>> and the other is open source).  I have never had any problem playing
>> xvid on a divx or vis versa
>
> DivX and Xvid both are video encoders (mostly called "codec") that
> implement a part (!) of the mpeg4-part2 (aka mpeg4-vc aka mpeg4-asp)
> standard.
>
> Mpeg4-part2 (and thus divx and xvid) are quite obsolete now. Also most
> cell phones want to see proper mpeg4 these days, that means a mp4
> container (OP already figured that out) and mpeg4-part10 (aka h264 aka
> mpeg4-avc) video. Xvid and DivX won't give you that.
>
> The easiest way to convert an arbitrary media file into mp4 that can be
> played by most cell phones is using ffmpeg because it can generate mp4
> out-of-the-box (almost compliant) also using b-frames (which mencoder
> can't).
I was under the understanding that using mencoder to produce an avi and
then using MP4Box to extract the video + audio and then remuxing would
be the same as ffmpeg ? (I have used mencoder for a while and am getting
used to using it) but what you seem to be saying its that it would be
better to encode with ffmpeg directly.