[MEncoder-users] RE?? Re: RE?? Re: converting and subtitle questions !

Erik Slagter erik at slagter.name
Mon Mar 24 13:19:03 CET 2008

Alex Samad wrote:
>> My destination is mp4, and it's ovc and oac should  be xvid and aac, or it could not be played in my cellphone.
> you should check out the difference between xvid and dixv. (from my
> limited knowledge - basically the same standard, but one is a closed src
> and the other is open source).  I have never had any problem playing
> xvid on a divx or vis versa

DivX and Xvid both are video encoders (mostly called "codec") that
implement a part (!) of the mpeg4-part2 (aka mpeg4-vc aka mpeg4-asp)
standard.

Mpeg4-part2 (and thus divx and xvid) are quite obsolete now. Also most
cell phones want to see proper mpeg4 these days, that means a mp4
container (OP already figured that out) and mpeg4-part10 (aka h264 aka
mpeg4-avc) video. Xvid and DivX won't give you that.

The easiest way to convert an arbitrary media file into mp4 that can be
played by most cell phones is using ffmpeg because it can generate mp4
out-of-the-box (almost compliant) also using b-frames (which mencoder
can't).

OP should use something like

ffmpeg -i inputfile -r <frame rate phone likes> -s <resolution phone
likes> -vcodec libx264 -b <bitrate phone likes> -acodec libfaac -ab 128
-ar 48000 -f mp4 outputfile.mp4

If the phone chokes on this, use mp4box (gpac) to remux the mp4 into an
isma file: mp4box -isma outpfile.mp4